Blauvelt State Park, NY
Blauvelt State Park is an undeveloped and forested 590-acre park located in the town of Orangetown. Located on a former U.S. Army rifle range, the property was transferred to PIPC in 1913 after local residents raised safety concerns regarding the potentially hazardous use of the site. The Army temporarily reclaimed use of the site for its emergency needs in both world wars. Since World War II, the park has been allowed to return to its natural state. Almost all signs of past human use have been erased. The plan is to let it pursue its quiet existence as a green buffer against the surrounding sprawl.
The Park is open from dawn until dusk.